November 6, 2011

Reflecting . . . and a bit of ranting (just a bit)

I am at the halfway point in my blogging project. On Friday, I received informal feedback from my professor on my blog to date. It was not great, but I am not surprised. I have deliberately neglected including certain aspects of the overall assignment criteria in this blog. Not because I am a rebel, although I can join a good cause in a heartbeat, but because I am struggling to find a space in my blog for the very things I do not like reading in others' blogs.

Bloggers lose my attention when their posts are lengthy and when they descend into the how tos of a task, with those awful "and then, and then, and then" that I tried to beat out of my Grade 6 and 7 students when I was a classroom teacher. (Not beat in a violent sense, more in a repeated reminder sense.)

If I want "how to" instruction, I'll watch a step by step video on YouTube: I do not like to wade through written instructions. I would even suffer through a podcast, although I have said before how insufferably boring I find podcasts.

Herein, lies my problem: I do not want to produce something which I would not like to read.

I am not a technical writer. I prefer to teach by demonstrating. I am not the kind of teacher who provides her students with reams of notes to "learn" from. My lessons are mostly of the "demonstrate and apply" format, followed by an assessment of the application.

Yet. . .

This blog is for an assignment. I want to do well on this assignment, and I want to conclude this project in December having met the following four goals set in my proposal:
  • to achieve the level of "proficiency" in all six tools
  • that my future Web 2.0 experiences, through self-regulation, will be rich with deep learning 
  • that each post will be a place “of critical thinking, analytical writing and reflection”
  • to become a resource for teachers and students in my school (See my full proposal for further explanation of these goals, including references for some of the language appropriated here in quotations.)
I believe my readers are knowledgeable and they can infer a great deal from what I am not telling them. I believe my professors can do the same.

But. . .

Can my professors assess what they infer? I do not think so. To date I have demonstrated proficiency in Diigo, Jing, and VoiceThread. I believe I am becoming a resource for teachers at my school, and I have provided some evidence of this in these blog posts. But my posts have yet to be places "of critical thinking, analytical writing, and reflection", nor have I explained much of the deep learning that I have experienced.

Hmmm. . .

So. . .

My challenge from this point forward is:
  • to include the "how tos" in a critical, analytic, and reflective style that will hold my readers' attention; and, 
  • to provide evidence of my deep learning through connections to academic literature
My posts are going to get longer. I just hope they get better, too.

P.S. The rant: I HAVE SHINGLES! According to The U.S. National Library of Medicine, when you have had chicken pox as a child the virus lives on forever in your body. And for about 20% really fortunate people (sarcastic tone necessary) it can reactivate during a time of lowered immunity. Say, when your husband is away with the senior boys soccer team and you are single parenting and trying to stay abreast of your Master's level coursework. . .ARGHHHH!

For further information on shingles, refer to this page. Caveat: the images are disgusting!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jess--You have hit the nail on the head with your post. We struggle with the very things you point out as we have worked and re-worked this assignment. The fact that it is an assignment, with specific guidelines for assessment means there is a little less freedom and room for expression, etc. Yet, we want you to be yourself, find your voice, etc. It's tough to balance and it takes time to get there. So, if you have suggestions about how we can make this process easier for us all, let us know!

    And longer posts are okay--you may have to reconcile the idea that you may not blog like this forever, but for the purposes of the assignment, your posts will be a little longer and a little more academic than you would normally like.

    Finally...SHINGLES!!! BOOOOOO. Shingles are awful--I've never had them but know several people who have. I hope you feel better soon...and that your husband gets home to help manage some of the other stuff so you can take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete