November 10, 2011

crow
Eating crow
I do not like to argue because I often get too passionate about the issue being debated and find myself short on facts. It is not a situation in which I am comfortable, and it can be a very frustrating experience. Generally, I state my opinions after carefully considering all sides and ensuring I can defend myself against opposing viewpoints. Occassionally, I find myself having formed an opinion that is weakly supported; once I have sorted through my misconceptions and misunderstandings, I am prepared to admit that I was wrong.

Well, it has happened. And publicly, right here on this blog. This post, this quote:  "I have said before how insufferably boring I find podcasts."

It's time I made myself a podcast pie.
Long Slice of Pie Ala Mode 4 of 4

Or, an audiocast pie? Or a blogcast pie?

There is some discrepancy in the academic world as to the correct terminology. Richardson (2010) calls it podcasting, "the creation and distribution of amateur radio, plain and simple" (p. 112). Berger & Trexler (2010) agree partly: "in its simplest form, a podcast is an audio file recorded on a computer and later shared with others over the Internet" (p. 128), yet, then state that "podcasts come in three types: audio, screen, and video" (p. 128). Lee LeFever (2011) adds another definition in his video, "Podcasting: In Plain English":

 This screenshot on the left is the end of a demonstration of the difference between "broadcasting" and "podcasting". The point being made is that podcasting allows for "personalized, time-shifted content for your consumption whenever you feel like" (Richardson, 2010, p. 113).

To minimize confusion, and to contribute to Apple's quest for world domination (for all you conspiracy theorists out there), this blog will use the term podcast for audio files created and shared.

Now, let me unpack my previous thoughts on podcasting, because I cannot ignore the fact that I labeled podcasts as "insufferably boring". Perhaps Richardson (2010) can help with this caveat: "Be prepared: This is not the highly polished professional radio you might be used to. Cracks and pops, obscure music, and "ums" and "ahs" are all a part of the podcast genre. . . .Try not to let production value overwhelm what might be really interesting content" (p. 113). I confess, I am rather judgmental. I have felt, at the end of some podcasts, that the knowledge I gathered from them could have been better delivered, and more quickly delivered, via the written word. I think it is time I lightened up a little and lowered my expectations. After all, I have yet to make a podcast. . .

I'll take a scoop of vanilla ice cream with my podcast pie.

References
Berger, P. & Trexler, S. (2010). Choosing Web 2.0 Tools for Learning and Teaching in a Digital World. Santa Barbara, CA: Libraries Unlimited.
Common Craft, LLC (Producer). (2008). Podcasting in Plain English [Video podcast]. Retrieved from http://www.commoncraft.com/video/podcasting
Richardson, W. (2010). Blogs, wikis, podcasts, and other powerful web tools for classrooms. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin.

No comments:

Post a Comment