October 27, 2011

My fling with Jing

According to the timeline I developed for this inquiry project in Web 2.0 tool exploration I should have completed my time with Flikr and Picassa. Astute readers of this blog (ummm, hi Joanne and Jennifer) will notice I have deviated from my timeline proposal significantly. It was only natural to overlap Diigo with Jing; really, it just happened. When I initially planned out my time with Diigo I intended it to be exclusive on-on-one time, but no one seems to have gotten hurt by my shared affection. Time flies though, so now that I have to leave Jing in the upper right hand corner of my screen, rather than actively open on my desktop, I should get back on track and return to Flikr and Picassa. But I can't. Storytelling seems to flow so nicely from Jing. So I'm off to visit Little Bird Tales and Voicethread. But first, the Jing affair...

Before I ventured into the screencast world I thought, as I always do, that it was something super techie and it was really going to stretch my capabilities. Was I wrong! It is easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy, as my daughter's teacher says. . . . except for those hours of my life I will never get back trying to figure out where my clipboard lives on my Macbook Pro. . . .

You see, TechSmith, the company that developed Jing, shared this little tidbit with me on their Jing tutorial page: "Now that you have your new Screencast.com button, you are ready to capture images or videos as usual, and click the button you just made to have embed code copied to your clipboard" (TechSmith, 2011). So I dutifully searched for my clipboard. I remember PMD (Pre-Mac Days) when my clipboard could be called up in a word processing program, but this simple process seemed to elude me on the Mac. After several frustrating searches in the Finder and then on the Screencast.com page looking for this bloody html code that was supposed to be ON MY CLIPBOARD, I finally, accidentally, figured out that it was hiding, where I could not see it, on my clipboard. Make sense? Yeah, not for me either, but when I hit "command + V" the embed code appeared in my draft post. Thanks be to the tech gods!

After this slight glitch Jing swept me off my feet. I captured a screencast for the Grade Five students to help with their inquiry project on diseases,
Unable to display content. Adobe Flash is required.

and one for the Grade Nine students as an at home refresher for an introductory lesson on Diigo.
Unable to display content. Adobe Flash is required.

All of these are hosted on my school library wiki where I have posted my Jing experiments for real time use.

Jing, you were just what I needed. 
Blowing Kisses
Carina Olsen (Kat's Photography)

References
TechSmith Corporation. (2011). "Embed Jing content using Screencast.com." TechSmith. Retrieved from http://www.techsmith.com/tutorial-jing-embed-content-using-screencastcom.html?requestsource=productredirect&redirlang=enu&redirproduct=jing&redirver=2.0.0

No comments:

Post a Comment