October 23, 2011

Why does online success surprise me?

I celebrate every digital achievement: from publishing a post on my blog to manipulating html code to shrink a screen capture, and now this . . .

Diigo will send bookmarks directly to my blog for publication!

Explanation of the Irish Epic "Tain Bo Cuailnge".
Posted from Diigo. The rest of my favorite links are here.

I continue to be amazed by what I am capable of in the online world. It may be small potatoes to some, but it is epic to me, in that cheesy, teenage slang use of the word. To culminate my experience with Diigo, and to ensure that I do not lose track of the progress the grade nine students are making in Diigo, I have added a widget to the right hand side of this blog, right underneath my Blog Archive. I can follow the new content they add to their own Diigo Group, thanks to the Teacher Console which allowed me to set up protected student accounts. With this introduction to Diigo, in a safe and controlled environment, it is my wish that they continue to use this practical Web 2.0 tool.

Richardson (2010) worries that "it's not technology that's causing a decline in critical thinking, it's our lack of understanding of how to use technology well" (p. 94). I have taken on the responsibility to ensure that I understand how to use certain technologies, and that I teach and share this knowledge as widely as possible. Thanks for the play, Diigo! Until next time . . .

References
Richardson, W. (2010). Blogs, wikis, podcasts, and other powerful Web 2.0 tools for classrooms. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin.

No comments:

Post a Comment